Fermilab Computing Sector
Fermilab Homepage Computing Sector Homepage Computing Sector Banner

Sector FAQ

These guidelines were put together to help Computing staff fill out forms and follow Fermilab policies and procedures. This is an evolving list that changes periodically. Please feel free to email cdweb@fnal.gov for changes or additions. 


CS Physics Research Equipment Pool

The Physics Research Equipment Pool (PREP) provides and supports electronic instrumentation for high energy physics research.



Computer lock down

Lock down kits should be used to secure desktops and laptops in offices that are unlocked or cannot be locked. If you need a lock down kit, please contact the Fermilab Key & ID office (located on the ground floor of Wilson Hall) to request one.


Fermilab employee self service


Questions about equipment tracking may be submitted to equipdb@fnal.gov


How do I change my home address, mail station, pager, phone extension or cell phone information?

You may change all these information by filling out the Fermilab Employee Data Form at http://wdrs.fnal.gov/hrs/dataform.html.


Key/Lock request(form)

  • Office doors - Complete the key/lock request form, get supervisor approval, then send it to Luann O'Boyle
  • Desks/cabinets – Please contact Keith Coiley.

Mileage reimbursement

(The mileage reimbursement form can be found at https://fermipoint.fnal.gov/service/TravelSystem/SitePages/Vehicle%20Allowance.aspx)

Mileage reimbursement for use of a private auto for official business not associated with business travel, such as on-site mileage or mileage incurred for off-site local travel (i.e. to a training site), is subject to the following:
  • The employee's Division/Section head must pre-approve and authorize reimbursement.
  • Claims must be filed within one month of the date the private auto is used.
  • Claims older than one month may be denied.
  • Mileage reimbursements should be handed to your administrative representative to be entered into Miser.

Ordering software

To request a software, please log in to the Service Desk website at http://fermi.service-now.com with your Services Account username and password and fill out this form: Service Request Catalog > Request Software or License.

Petty cash (Petty Cash Voucher)

  • Petty Cash vouchers can be used to request reimbursement of materials or supplies.
  • Supporting documentation (original receipt, etc.) must be attached to allow reimbursement.
  • Items that are restricted on ProCard cannot be reimbursed through petty cash.
  • Requests for materials or supplies reimbursement in excess of $100 requires the prior approval of the Procurement Department.
  • A task/project code will be needed along with supervisor's signature.
  • Petty cash vouchers should be handed to your administrative representative to be entered into Miser.

Property pass


Property transfer request(form

  • It is the responsibility of the employee to whom a property is assigned (custodian) to account for its use and location. 
  • If the property assigned to you is transferred to another laboratory employee, the transfer must be recorded using this form. Failure to utilize this process will result in equipment remaining in your name.

Query FNAL property


Request a conference room



Reserving a government vehicle

  • Government vehicles must be used only for official government purposes. This does not include the transportation of employees between their homes and the laboratory, except when this is in the interest of official business.
  • To reserve a vehicle call Vehicle Maintenance at x3307.
  • If the vehicle is needed for overnight use, you must fill out a request form.

Safety eyewear request (form)

  • You must have a prescription for corrective lenses that is not more than 12 months old.
  • Supervisor approval is needed once the request form has been filled out.
  • Take the completed form and your prescription to Wilson Hall Ground Floor ESH&Q Training Room on Wednesday during 9 a.m. to noon.

Safety shoe request (form)

  • You will need a task #, project #, and supervisor's signature.
  • Take the completed form to the "shoemobile" that is located behind Industrial Center Building every Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (closed for lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)

Site access

To request visitor passes, navigate to the Fermilab Security Site Access Request Database and log in with your Services Account username and password.  

Note: Only Fermilab employees and users may request guest access for visitors.   If you prefer not to use the online form, you may request visitor passes by calling the Fermilab Operator at x3414.

Stock room orders (Fermilab Stock Catalog)

Stock room supplies are available at FCC2 and WH9. If an item is not available, please write down the stock item on the white board or email cd-sis


Tuition assistance request (form)

  • You will need a project/task code number and supervisor's signature.
  • The completed form should be handed to your administrative representative to be entered into Miser and to get Division Approval.

Video conferencing at Fermilab


Where do I check job descriptions & pay ranges

You may check all job descriptions and pay ranges at http://wdrs.fnal.gov/job_descript/index.html.



 This page rendered in 0.1098 seconds